Italian chocolate cake
Serves 12 slices
For our first birthday we made this amazingly rich and deliciously moist chocolate cake. It seemed only fair for us to share it with you! This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, soy free and most importantly low FODMAP!
We have provided you with both a chocolate ganache and buttercream icing recipe, so you can choose which icing option you would like for your cake.
This cake recipe has been adapted from Chelsea Winters Italian Chocolate cake recipe.
Author: Kelsey Paterson, Monash FODMAP trained Dietitian
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
- 1 3/4 Cups Edmonds Gluten free flour
- 1 Cup white sugar
- 1/2 Cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Just under 1/2 Cup rice bran oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 Cups room temp water
- 200g dark chocolate
- 2/3 Cup coconut cream
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Cup Olivani or another dairy butter alternative
- 3 Cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 160°C on regular bake.
- Grease a 20-22cm cake tin and line the tin with baking paper.
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt into a large mixing bowl. Stir with a whisk to combine evenly. Make a large well in the centre.
- Pour the oil, vinegar, vanilla and water into the well. Using the whisk, start in the middle and stir the mixture until combined. Be gentle with your mixing as you don’t want to flatten the bubbles.
- Pour your cake mixture into your cake tine and bake just below the centre of the oven for about 50 minutes or until cooked.
- Let it cool in the tin for 10 minutes before flipping onto a cake rack to cool completely.
Break chocolate up into a mixing bowl.
Gently heat the coconut cream with the sugar in a small pot or in the microwave, then pour over chocolate.
Stir until the chocolate is melted and well combined with the cream
Leave to cool on the bench before icing your cake.
In a microwave proof dish, soften butter until it reaches room temperature.
Whip butter with an electric mixer for 1-2 minutes
- Add icing sugar in 1/2 cup increments, whipping for ~30 seconds between.
Add vanilla extract.
If mixture is too dry or thick, add 1 Tbsp of plant based milk to add moisture
Note: It is easiest to add to the cake, when the cake has been in the fridge