Low FODMAP Butter Chicken PIe
Here we have combined the best of both worlds. The classic butter chicken curry combined with the goodness of pastry… say hello to the Butter Chicken Pie! Sub in tofu for chicken for a vegetarian option and use coconut cream instead of cream to make it dairy free. Super versatile, this one is sure to warm the soul.
Author: Bianca Berton-Scarlet, Monash FODMAP trained Dietitian
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- Knob of butter
- 4 Tbsp butter chicken spice mix
- 1/2 cup or 145g tomato puree
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 5-6 Baby potatoes diced into 1cm cubes
- 600g tofu or chicken
- 1 cup corn
- 1 large handful baby spinach
- 1/3 cup cream
- 1 sheet gluten free puff pastry
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C
- Melt a knob of butter in a deep fry pan, add butter chicken spice mix and fry until fragrant. Add tomato puree, canned tomatoes, chicken stock and potatoes and bring boil. Reduce to simmer and cover for 10 minutes.
- Take pastry out of the freezer if using frozen pastry
- Chop the chicken into approximately 3 cm pieces, add to pan and cook for 5-6 minutes. Add the corn, spinach and cream. Simmer for a further 5 minutes or until reduced down. The mixture should be thick and saucy.
- Pour the butter tofu mixture into a baking/casserole dish. Place the puff pastry on top of the mixture, trim the edged if needed. Cut a few slits into the pastry and brush with a beaten egg.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the pastry is golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Note: if using tofu: Pat tofu dry with a paper towel. Dice tofu into 1-2 cm cubes and add it to the pan with the corn, spinach and cream. Simmer for a further 5 minutes or until reduced down