Low FODMAP Butter Chicken Curry
Trust us when we say, this one will be a family favourite! Inspired by the traditional Indian Butter Chicken, we set out to replicated the authentic taste, minus the tummy aches. We believe your IBS shouldn’t mean you have to miss out on curry!
This recipe is a mild low FODMAP Butter Chicken curry. It is rich in flavour, deliciously creamy and of course, gut friendly!
Author: Bianca Berton-Scarlet, Monash FODMAP trained Dietitian
Prep time: 5min
Cook time: 20 min
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons ‘Butter Me Up’ spice mix
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 600g boneless/skinless chicken thighs cut into 3 cm chucks *
- 250ml cream (or coconut cream if lactose intolerant)
- Rice for serving
- Coriander (optional for garnish)
- Melt butter in a pot or deep pan. Add spice mix and cook for 1 min.
- Add tomato paste and crushed tomatoes and simmer for 5 min.
- Add the chicken (or tofu for a vegetarian option) and simmer for about 5-6 min or until chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in the cream and simmer for a further 5 min.
- Serve your low FODMAP butter chicken curry with rice and garnished with chopped coriander.
Tip: We recommend adding in your choice of low FODMAP vegetables (in between step 3 and 4) such as diced carrots, green beans, red capsicum or eggplant.
* Substitute chicken with 600g of firm tofu for a vegetarian or vegan friendly butter “chicken” option