Classic Butter Chicken
Trust us when we say, this one will be a family favourite! Inspired by the traditional Indian Butter Chicken, we endeavored to replicated the authentic taste whilst re-creating our own gut friendly version, because we believe your IBS shouldn’t mean you have to miss out on curry!
This recipe is a mild gut friendly version of a Butter Chicken curry. It is rich in flavour, deliciously creamy and of course, gut friendly!
Author: Bianca Berton-Scarlet, Monash FODMAP accredited Dietitian
Prep time: 5min
Cook time: 20 min
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons ‘Butter Me Up’ spice mix
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 600g boneless/skinless chicken thighs cut into 3 cm chucks *
- 250ml cream (or coconut cream if lactose intolerant)
- Rice for serving
- Coriander (optional for garnish)
- Melt butter in a pot or deep pan. Add spice mix and cook for 1 min.
- Add tomato paste and crushed tomatoes and simmer for 5 min.
- Add the chicken (or tofu for a vegetarian option) and simmer for about 5-6 min or until chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in the cream and simmer for a further 5 min.
- Serve with rice and garnished with chopped coriander.
Tip: We recommend adding in your choice of low FODMAP vegetables (in between step 3 and 4) such as diced carrots, green beans, red capsicum or eggplant.
* Substitute chicken with 600g of firm tofu for a vegetarian friendly option